Skip to main content

Updates and Basil, Cilantro, Garlic Bread

I realize I haven't blogged in quite some time. Here's some updates since my last blog:

- I moved - It wasn't my choice but it had to be done. The lady that owned our condo wanted us to buy it or leave. So we left (there were way too many things to be fixed and wasn't worth our time, energy and money). Now I live in the basement of my mother in law's home with my boyfriend, Jack.

- I no longer consume animals or animal by products. I'm 90% vegan and I say 90 % because I cannot consume vegan cheese. Has anyone ever tried it? IT'S LEGIT THE SCUM OF THE EARTH. I eat cheddar cheese (only) once, twice or three times a month.

So let's get down to business, to the reason why I made you come to this entry on my blog. The main way I cook in this basement is with my slow cooker. I came across a recipe on Pinterest for Vegan basil pesto bread which obviously sounds delicious. *Word to the non - vegans, pesto contains parmesan. There was a recipe to make vegan pesto but it sounded long with a bunch of ingredients I'm not willing to buy just yet.

I took the recipe and made it my own, I've added basil (from the tube - which is in the form of a paste), freshly chopped cilantro (or parsley, depending on what's on sale) and garlic. This bread is crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Is your mouth watering yet?

Basil, cilantro garlic bread aka Addictive Bread


Ingredients
~ 2 teaspoons (and a pinch) of active dry yeast (or 1 envelope)
~ 1 tablespoon sugar
~ 1 1/2 cups warm - hot water
~ 3 3/4 cups all purpose (or whole wheat flour)
~ 1 tablespoon olive oil (you can use any oil really - I always use avocado oil)
~ 2 tablespoons minced garlic
~ 4  or 5 quick squeezes of basil paste (each dollop is a bit over an inch)
~ generous handful of cilantro (or parsley) roughly chopped
~ 1 teaspoon salt (plus extra for topping)
~ dried basil (also for topping)

Extra
- Parchment paper
- Paper towel (about 3 squares)

Directions
1. Line your slow cooker with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine until homogenous.
3. Add water and continue to stir until completely combined.
4. Add flour, olive oil, basil paste, garlic, cilantro (or parsley) and salt. Stir with a spatula - it will become dough like. * there will be extra flour - at this time, pour it out and knead it with your hands for 5-7 minutes. If the dough is sticky, add a couple tablespoons of flour at a time until the dough is no longer sticky.
5. Place dough in centre of your slow cooker
6. Top with a sprinkle of salt and dried basil
7. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours
8. After 2 hours, place 3 pieces of paper towel over the slow cooker and place the lid on top (this will prevent moisture from entering which will make your bread more crisp). If you don't want the bread to become crisp you can skip this step.
9. Remove bread from slow cooker and let cool (but not too much!)
10. (and the most important step of them all): slice bread while still warm and spread vegan butter and enjoy!!

Please let me know what you think and if you make any changes, let me know. I would love to hear what you've tried! Share this recipe if you like. :)

Have a great weekend. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dill Avocado Pasta Salad

Remember those leftovers from the quesadillas? I found a use for them. I would like to call this a scramble of leftovers with fresh dill, yogurt and avocado - because that's pretty much what it is. - cooked noodles (I used penne - roughly 2 cups - leftover quesadilla filling - 1/2 avocado - 2 tablespoons of plain greek yogurt - roughly tblsp of fresh dill - small handful of shredded old cheese Combine all and eat. I swear I didn't use a lot of dill but using the fresh stuff, it really comes through. And I just LOVE dill... it's the best. It's the tastiest herb (in my opinion). Staring at my lunch this morning - before I combined the ingredients I was thinking to myself "what the fck Anna. What were you thinking this looks absurd. Good luck". Especially since the avocado was turning brown.. it was very unappetizing and then one bite and I was hooked. I'm glad I didn't give this to Jack. I don't think he would have liked it. Recent

Boxing!!

Do you ever get so ticked off you just want to punch something? Me too. All the damn time. Sometimes I'll even punch the wall.. no, not smart at all but it happens. A friend has been going to Boxing lessons for about a month now (I think) and I always wanted to join but I'm extremely terrified - I'm mostly afraid my form will be incorrect and it will be a one on one experience. Other than that, I'm absolutely pumped! I really hope I enjoy myself because I hear boxing is an INSANE WORKOUT. There's been a Groupon for this place since forever, I always saw it being recommended to me on my account and I figure - about time. I better get my ass in gear! If I learn the proper form and enjoy it, I'm 100 % sure I'm going to get a dummy or a punching bag and start punching when I'm angry. I already checked out prices - expensive - of course for the good quality and cheap for crappy bags that will break in no time. I hope it's all upper body though and n

Today is going to be great

I was supposed to finish up this post yesterday. So the title 'Today is going to be great' was about March 16 aka yesterday. And the beauty of writing a blog about a previous day is that you can say what went right or wrong. Update: it was a great day. I still have yet to make it to the gym but I did make it a goal that one way or another I was going to get my steps, and I did. I will describe this later. Here is my food journal: For a morning snack (after my raisin bran muffin) I had a bag of salad. In the morning I'll pack romaine, croutons and dressing - in a separate container - then add the dressing to the bag itself and shake it like it's no ones business. It's genius really. Every leaf has an even coat and call me crazy but I think it just tastes better. Yesterday I used ranch dressing. My favourite meal made by mama biss - basmati rice with chicken, peaches, plum tomatoes and I added steamed broccoli. It's legit perfection. I have no ide