Skip to main content

Mac n' Cheese recipe a la Anna

Okay so this may not be the healthiest recipe but after a long day and getting your period early, f*ck this I needed it. And let me tell you I used to NEVER go to the gym on the first day.... but look at me now - I'm an adult.

Let's get started shall we? For this combo you will need:
- whole wheat flour
- corn starch
- water (luke warm or hot)
- butter
- warm almond milk
- whatever cheese you want
- leftover veggies
- cooked chicken breast
- noodles
- minced garlic
- paprika, garlic powder, cayenne

To start off I followed (and failed at) this Recipe The link should take you to a Bechamel Sauce.. for me it didn't work so I had to make a slurry by mixing corn starch with hot water (in 2 doses) which helped thicken it up. First I added cheddar cheese (roughly 1/2 cup shredded) and then 2 tablespoons (roughly) of minced garlic, 2 shakes of paprika, a couple shakes of cayenne, 1 shake of seasoned salt and garlic powder.

I'm not going to lie - it was already pretty good like that but I wanted it to be a touch thicker and wanted more cheese so Jack picked up some old cheese or white cheddar whatever you call it. While you are worrying about the seasoning and the cheese the water should be boiled by now - I think I forgot to mention that but you should know how to make pasta from the box...

Instead of just adding your chicken and veggies to the pasta after draining.. I actually rinsed the pasta first with cold water to keep it from sticking and to remove any extra starch (I see that a lot on cooking shows). And then the best part - add the cheese sauce and just watch the beautiful silky sauce move its way into the crevasses of the pasta and the meat. It looked and smelled delicious! Of course by that time I wasn't even  hungry because I ate my lunch late and I was snacking on liverwurst and crackers. I think I mentioned that in my last blog.

Anywho bottom line it was delicious and of course I brought that for my lunch today. It's almost 8:00 am better get started on my mountain of paperwork. Stay tuned.

SIDE NOTE
My friends husband is lactose in tolerant so I definitely want to try this recipe again with soy cheese and then instead of pasta use spaghetti squash for a modified healthier version! (this will be on the weekend)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sleeping.

I feel like I've always taken advantage of sleep. The power of sleep - not one of life's wonders. You get a good night sleep, you're able to function properly the next day. I never truly appreciated the act of sleep until last night. I'm in bed roughly by 9 pm maybe 9:30 pm and I'm a light sleeper. (perfect mom quality might I add) Jack on the other hand goes to bed around 10:30 pm or 11:00 pm. He admitted he has FOMO - F ear O f M issing O ut but in regards to TV / Facebook videos so he's up watching something so that's the reason why he doesn't go to bed at the same time as me. Well last night the Leaf game was on - and I can only assume that they lost because I didn't hear any screaming at the TV then again I didn't hear anger either and Jack's pretty loud when it comes to Leaf games (major hockey fan). I only heard around 11:19 pm that he was heading to bed. And then the loud breathing started. I can't really tell if it'...

The snow has come...

It's April 7, 2017 and it's snowing. There isn't a lot of snow that is staying on the ground but what the actual fck - it's snowing in Spring! Today I scheduled a walk on one of the most gorgeous trails in the east end and now I don't think we will go. We are both somewhat of clutzy people and snow can sometimes make you slip and thus fall - nu uh. Not today. Guess what?! Two of the weights are off my shoulders! I not only finished my speech but I also found my swim suit. It was hidden in a mountain of summer clothes - eek - probably summer clothes that don't even fit. Time to get my ass in gear! So that's that, yay I'm happy that I found my bathing suit. Tonight is the rehearsal dinner. Tomorrow will be a bit hectic. This may not seem like a lot for you but it is for me. The plan: wake up, get ready, pack my bag for a slumber party, have the bridesmaid dress by the door (could you imagine if I forgot that?!), SHAVE MY LEGS omg the dress is long bu...

Rant on perfumes / cologne

Found this rant in my iPhone notebook: Ladies. Why do you bathe in perfume? Some men do it too but I had to bring it up for a little rant because I was just outside walking to the bus stop and all I could smell was perfume and I was still 10 or 15 steps away. There was a woman waiting in the shelter. Decked out as if she was going downtown to pick up an older man in the financial district. Either that or she works in a top notch hair salon... I can't even make a joke properly because my head is still fuzzy from that smell. When I am in a closed space and someone sprays perfume (an abundance of it) I get light headed accompanied by a headache. It's not fun at all. I'm not the only one either which is the reason why most gym change rooms have signs not allowing perfumes to be sprayed. Same with certain departments in the hospital. Nurses shouldn't wear perfume because of the contact with some patients. Anyways, all I'm saying is - even though YOU can't ...